Corporate Social Responsibility
We believe corporate social responsibility is more than a policy – it’s a long-term commitment. A commitment to our customers, our communities, and our environment. It starts in our backyard and extends around the globe to our areas of operation. Whether it’s beautifying our local communities, ensuring social compliance standards are upheld in manufacturing factories overseas, or implementing new processes to reduce our environmental impact, we will continue to build on our strong foundation of responsible operations.
Global and Local Community
- Superior Group of Companies spearheaded the social compliance movement when the matter came to the forefront of the U.S. textile and apparel industry. We were acknowledged nationally as “trendsetting” by the U.S. Government, and have remained steadfast in our commitment to excellence in corporate social responsibility practices.
- 85% of our uniform segment suppliers are screened using social criteria, and our branded merchandise segment consistently screened 95% of its suppliers from 2017 through 2019.
- We utilize globally-recognized 3rd party inspectors and certifications, such as SGS, Betterworks, and Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP).
Global and Local Community
- We have donated millions of articles of clothing to various foundations and missions all over the world.
- Our Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) segment, The Office Gurus, is extremely active in their communities:
- We have been partners with the Foundation for Health and Human Development (FUSAL) since 2011 and its Libras de Amor program focused on reducing malnutrition in children and creating a self-sustaining environment for families in high-risk communities in El Salvador.
- We adopted a village of 2,500 people where the malnutrition rate among children was approximately 86%. To combat this, we participated in programs to teach farming skills and started a chicken coop project to promote nutrition and commerce within the village.
- Ayúdame A Vivir is the only non-profit organization that offers medical and support treatment to 100% of cases of children diagnosed with cancer in El Salvador at no cost. Our employees have been able to visit their medical center and deliver basic food baskets, socks and gifts during the holidays. Since we launched the program, we’ve donated $25,254.
- Liga Contra El Cancer is a non-profit organization focused on early detection and cancer treatment in El Salvador supporting thousands of Salvadoran women, men and families who don’t have financial resources for their treatments. Through our annual Pink Challenge, our employees knit scarves for Liga’s patients. For every 10 scarves, The Office Gurus donate 1 mammogram. To date, we’ve donated $4,785, which represents 191 mammograms.
- BAMKO President, Phil Koosed, and his wife created Save the Syrian Children, which has delivered over $130 million in humanitarian and medical aid to courageous doctors, nurses and medical assistants in the middle of the war zone in Syria. With the help of BAMKO’s world class sourcing and logistics teams, they supply over 30 hospitals in the Idlib region servicing a population of 4 million internally displaced people.
- The President of BAMKO India founded Street Kids of Dehradun, which has successfully collected and distributed food every week to poor and hungry kids living on the streets. This has inspired dozens of BAMKO India employees to join the cause, collectively helping tens of thousands of children from going hungry.
- Since 1987, Superior Uniform Group has hosted regular blood drives, resulting in over 1,000 pints of blood donated to patients in need.
- We continuously support the Morton Plant Mease Foundation through various events held in the Tampa Bay community, most recently at the 30th Annual Morton Health Care Foundation Golf Tournament. Proceeds from the event benefit the Dr. George A. Morris Earn as you Learn Nursing Education Program, which ensures nurses are provided with the necessary education to offer the highest level of quality care to patients and the community.
- In 2019, we partnered with 147 charities, resulting in $530,000 in contributions.
- Since 2008, Superior Group of Companies has participated in the Adopt-A-Shore program. Organized by the employee-lead Green Team, these beach clean-ups have resulted in more than a half a ton of trash removed from Madeira Beach, Florida.
- We have reduced our annual paper consumption in our offices, resulting in over 600 trees being saved.
- The Office Gurus operates as a paperless workplace, and the company’s 2,100+ employees utilize highly efficient, low power consumption computers.
- Our worldwide distribution center in Eudora, Arkansas, has recently upgraded all of the lighting in the facility, installed a system that automatically shuts off the lights in unoccupied aisles, and reuses corrugated and plastic cartons received from our vendors, which limits our purchase of new cartons and diverts received packaging from landfill.
- In 2019, our uniform segment rolled out a new program for one of our large customers that recycled 7.8 million plastic bottles to make 1.6 million polyester garments.
- In our branded merchandise segment, 15-18% of our yearly volume of materials used is from renewable resources.